I baked these Cranberry Orange “scones” in this donut mold, cause that is all I had at home at the time. However, they turned out great as donuts!
These are super moist and cakey, just like the coffee shop versions we all loved before we took the “keto” plunge. I make a batch of these and the Blueberry Sour Cream muffins on the weekends. Even the non-low carb family loves them!
Beware though, these are as calorie dense as your coffee shop favorites – one of these packs in 230 calories of sweet buttery bliss!
Drizzled on top is an orange cream cheese frosting made with a few drops of Orange Vitality essential oil. I use YL oils in cooking since they are the only brand I am aware of that makes a specific dietary line of oils. I have not used any other brand, but you can try any high quality oil and see if it works. The icing tastes like I used orange extract (which the original recipe called for but I didn’t have any on hand so I tried my Orange oil and it was great!).
Make you sure to let them completely cool in the mold before removing or they tend to be a bit crumbly.
A note about Xylitol
You’ll notice I used this Xylitol in this recipe. Xylitol is one of the more readily available sweetener options and tastes great in baked goods. Some people stay away from xylitol because it does have a higher glycemic index than other alternative sugar options. In my experience, I stay in ketosis just fine. I do not think it makes a huge difference as long as you are not getting too much in any given day. If you are worried about the GI or net carbs, you can opt to use Erythritol which is much lower on the GI scale. Also, Monkfruit or allulose are great alternatives as well, but they can be a little harder to find at your local stores.
I used the NOW brand which works well – you can get both erythritol and xylitol in a bundle here and see which you like best for what types of dishes.
Cranberry Orange Sconuts
- 1 Cup Almond Flour Super Fine
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 Cup Xylitol or other 1:1 sweetner
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries (no sugar added)
- 1/2 tsp Orange zest
- 3-5 drops Orange Vitality Essential Oil
- 1/4 Cup crushed Almonds
- 1 Tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 3 Tbsp Powdered Swerve of similar sugar substitute
- 2-3 drops Orange Vitality Essential Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. If your glaze is still lumpy, reheat in 10 second increments, stirring in between with a fork until you get a smooth glaze.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, swerve, baking powder and swerve. Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Add eggs and beat in the well, then pour in heavy whipping cream, melted butter and orange extract. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in dried cranberries and half of the almonds. Reserve the other half of the almonds to sprinkle on top of the batter before baking.
- Place the dough into lightly oiled donut molds. Sprinkle remaining crushed almonds on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Microwave the butter, cream cheese and powdered swerve for 30 seconds –1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add 2-3 drops orange oil.
- Mix well with a fork until the butter and cream cheese are dissolved, and you have a smooth glaze.
- Drizzle over the sconuts and then let them cool completely before removing from molds.