I use this basic chaffle recipe to make a few batches of mini chaffles I can use all week for quick and easy keto-friendly sandwiches!
Chaffles are a wonderful hack if you haven’t yet tried them. So quick and easy, and really you can substitute so many ingredients into them to make them as customized as you’d like.
Just don’t forget the basics – a “chaffle” is eggs and cheese. Then add whatever else you want to experiment with.
You can play around with this basic recipe and have fun creating your favorite! And I haven’t made a chaffle yet that wasn’t worth eating. Some were better than others, and I’ll share those fails and successes later. But all of them have turned out fine.
Mozzarella is a milder cheese, so you don’t get a “cheesy” flavor from these, especially the finer the shred. I added almond flour to give it a little more texture like bread would have. If you use coconut flour remember to add a little more egg or maybe sour cream to even out the dryness of the coconut flour.
Add different cheeses or some garlic and oregano to make a more savory chaffle. Sweeten it up with coconut flour and a tsp of monk-fruit or other sweetener and top with strawberries and whip cream for a tasty dessert!
I use this dash mini waffle maker from Amazon, and it’s only $10 (free shipping if you have Prime too!). I got the teal one cause it matches my kitchen, but they have several color choices.
To make the bacon egg and cheese breakfast sandwich pictured above just follow the recipe below and add your bacon, egg, and cheese to your heart’s desire.
Basic Keto Chaffle Recipe
- Mini Dash Waffle Maker
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese Finely Shredded
- 1 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 1 Large Egg
- 1. Plug in your waffle maker to heat up while you mix the ingredients.
- 2. Mix cheese and flour in a small bowl. Keep about 1 tsp of cheese to the side to sprinkle on the waffle iron. The finer shredded the cheese is the more bread-like texture the waffle will be so choose your cheese wisely.
- 3. Once flour and cheese is incorporated, add the egg and mix thoroughly.
- 4. Sprinkle a bit of cheese on the waffle iron, this gives it a crispy exterior.
- 5. Pour half the egg and cheese mixture onto the middle of your waffle iron. Top with a sprinkle more of cheese and close.
- 6. Check your chaffle in about 2-3 minutes. Remove and repeat.